Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Things Italians Eat - Part II: Fiori di Zucca (Zucchini Flowers)

One would think that I am obsessed with flowers. I've written about searching for weeks for the perfect field of poppies. I'm in awe of all the varieties of wild flowers that paint the hills with brilliant yellows, subtle pinks and royal purples. And every time I think I've seen the most beautiful display of colors, more flowers bloom and change the landscape again. Last week it was roses in every color - climbing roses, miniature roses, varieties I've never seen before. Also blooming now, along all the highways is Oleander, in a wonderful array of color.

Zucchini flowers have always been a mystery to me. They're delicate and pretty, but unlike the ornamental flowers I've been admiring, they are also food…to me a challenging, exotic and particular item to prepare. And who eats flowers anyway? Well, Italians certainly do.

When zucchini began appearing in the markets, they showed up with the blossoms still attached. What is one supposed to do with that? Now the blossoms are available at the green grocer (without being attached to a zucchini). No one I know has ever cooked them. I've only ever seen them on restaurant menus, where I have ordered them in anticipation of an exotic delicacy. Having never cooked them, I asked the woman at the fruit and vegetable shop how they are prepared.

Here's what she said:

“It's very easy. Stuff them with a little mozzarella and anchovy – just a tiny bit of anchovy. Then make a batter with some flour and water and a little salt....not too thick. Dip the stuffed blossoms in the batter and put them directly into a skillet of hot olive oil.”

Typical of Italian recipes exchanged verbally, exact amounts are not mentioned. You're simply supposed to know how thick/thin to make the batter, how much anchovy is “a tiny bit” etc. Actually, it was pretty simple. The blossoms were easy to stuff, the batter was easy to whip-up and all that was left to do was to eat the little delights. And they were delicious. I will make these again! Yum!

3 comments:

  1. Carol, you might like this site for recipes. Written using all the great things we can get here but with American cooks in mind. http://italianfoodforever.com/iff2008/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most definitely, Yum and as I have a husband who enjoys cooking, we also get to eat them at home sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha,Can't imagine how I missed your blog all this time, but I will be following along from now on and catching up on archives too. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the food link :)

    LLM - just ordered them again on Sunday at a lovely little B&B here in Soriano.MMmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete