Monday, June 7, 2010

NUTELLA TREES


Nutella trees...miles and miles and miles of Nutella trees...every road we choose, every drive in the country is lined with groves of trees that will shed tons of hazelnuts this fall. These nuts will find their way into biscotti and Baci, cakes, desserts and gelato (nocciola is my favorite), local specialty jams and liqueurs. But the most important job of these nutty little gems is to find their way to the Nutella factory, where they will be crushed and mashed and mixed and blended with chocolate in some magical, mystical Willy Wonka-ish way to create one of the world's most wonderful foods. Nutella, that decadent spreadable chocolatey-hazelnutty, eat-it-out-of-the-jar gift from Heaven, starts right here in our own back yard. We are surrounded by vast groves of hazelnut trees, lush and full, producing endless jars of deliciousness.

Little did I know of Nutella a mere 10 years ago, when for the first time I witnessed an Italian mamma on a Calabrian beach feed her children what appeared to be “chocolate sandwiches”. The woman was a family friend, so I didn't feel too embarrassed to ask her about this spreadable chocolate in a jar.

“You don't know Nutella?” she asked, stunned.

Since that moment on a hot Ionian beach, I have become intimately familiar with Nutella. I have baked with it, spread it on crepes, dipped strawberries into it, drizzled it on ice cream and of course, eaten it straight from the jar. I have, so far resisted buying one of those gallon jars sold in the Autogrills. They are a devilish temptation.

We are looking forward to participating in the hazelnut harvest. Just about everyone we've met has a grove or knows someone who does. “Will work for Nutella!' There will no doubt be Feste delle Nocce in many of the towns around the region to celebrate the harvest of this important regional treasure. These hills are alive with Nutella Trees!!!

8 comments:

  1. Ciao cugini...Nutella is delicious! There is a Restaurant here in the Bronx on Arthur Ave. that has those gallon jars sitting next to their Brick Oven in which they make wonderful Nutella Pizza...Think I'll go get one now!
    Berto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roberto - Carol and I helped make Nutella pizzas (from scratch) at a friend's house here in Soriano last week. Try adding a layer sweetened ricotta...perfecto!

    Guglielmo

    ReplyDelete
  3. christinesbrennanJune 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM

    I eat it on bagels, waffles, toast, ice cream. Introduced it to my neice, who skipped all the fuss and eats it out of the jar! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guglielmo..You're making me VERY Jealous!! I may have to come over there so you can teach me how to make them. Enjoy....
    Berto

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, Carol, Carol. Don't eat that industrial product! Instead buy some of the artisan-made hazelnut/chocolate stuff available at local merchants in Viterbo. Small-batch production, better-quality ingredients, etc. make these products excellent --think of your homemade tomato sauce compared to Chef-boy-ar-dee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christine - There are lots of little places that make their own artisan version of Nutella.....no preservatives, richer (if you can believe it) and more hazelnutty flavor. Paradiso!!

    Michael - Maybe next week???

    harry&leather :) - We took your advice the first time you mentioned the artisan hazelnut spread. Now I'm hooked and will start hoarding for the return trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to find one more Nutella lover on the net! All the best from Roma Nord - La Storta! Have a great summer! Ciao Donatella

    ReplyDelete