Saturday, September 11, 2010

BEEF and BIRTHDAYS




Italy is in our DNA. We knew it the first time we set foot in this beautiful country all those years ago. Our grandparents were born here. It is a part of us. Having said that, we are born and bred American...raised in the suburbs of New York, in the most American of times...the 50's and 60's. Wewere raised on Italian-American diets of pasta several times a week, red meat the rest of the time. We have adapted our diets in response to warnings of the perils of red meat, but there are times when the “ red-blooded American” side prevails and the craving for a big juicy steak is undeniable. Italians eat their beef in very thin slices, and in small portions.....meat is not the centerpiece of their meals. Typically the Italian meal consists of pasta, a small serving of meat, a vegetable, bread, fruit and coffee.

So last week, I asked Bill what he wanted for his upcoming birthday. Without hesitation, he replied “a big hunk of beef!”For this birthday dinner, we returned to Viterbo, to a little osteria at the Enoteca La Torre. Bistecca was on the menu at 4euro/100 grams. But the smallest cut they could serve was 700 grams. Prepared to perfection.... it was enough beef for a week of birthdays.

8 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to Bill! First thing I had when I visited the States after six years here was a big juicy steak :D

    P.S. Haha the word verification is "beday!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buon compleanno e tanti aguri!

    That looks like some good beef! I think the best steak I have had anywhere in the world was a florentine at a little place north of Treviso.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see Bill and Luigi smiling there! Since we no longer eat corn-fed US beef, we're happy with the beef quality in Italy and with guys like Luigi choosing the cuts for you it's hard to imagine going wrong. We enjoyed a great "fiorentina" near Pienza back when the in-laws visited in April. In the seven months we lived in Viterbo we didn't miss ANYTHING about eating in the USA and now that we're back can say we miss LOTS about eating and drinking in Italy. Walking over to the vino sfuso shop and buying good quality, wood barrel-aged Sangiovese for 2 euros a liter is just one of 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle, "beday" hehehe

    Bryan, So glad you will be returning soon!We have yet to try the bistecca alla fiorentina.

    L&H, Luigi was happy to see us and we extended your greetings to him too.We'already thinking about how to cook/eat all'italiana when we get home. Hope to be back again next spring! Happy scouting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most enjoyable article and photos. The face of Bill is spelled "r e l a x e d & h a p p y". Let's face it, doesn't everything taste better in Italy? Though I must say that after two weeks in Bavaria touring Kriskindle markets, I was ready for anything that wasn't sausage. Must admit I absolutely miss the winter market staple - gluhwein! I degress... at Schiphol airport on the return home we landed in an adorable little grill (think original Clydes but open to the bustling airport halls) with the chefs (yes, chef hats in an airport cooking the meal in an open kitchen)...the best hamburger I have had anywhere - US included - so I appreciated the beef crave story. European countries eating customs are so vastly different from one another for such short distances graphically.

    I am going to mourn your absence from Italy until next Spring. Glad to hear you are already making your plans to return.
    - Maureen Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael....we're tryng to figure out how to "really eat all'italiana"when we get back...ie not stock up on stuff at Costco and just "day-to-day" it! I love the simplicity!

    Maureen- so when can we expect a visit from you? You would love the CultureDiscovery Tour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sweetie Pie!
    Happy Birthday to you! I've just returned from a cross country drive with Gary and then up to Philadelphia for a Turner Board meeting. Your steak was mouthwatering, and I bet it tasted as good as it looked. I have fabulous memories of Viterbo and enjoyed every single picture you sent. HOpe you're days are cool and sweet as Fall approaches.
    Love you both,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete