
Now that I’ve earned the title “ass-farmer”, I’ve decided to join in on the fun with five words that I grew up with. As a kid I never understood why the old Italian men drank those strange smelling, bitter tasting concoctions before and after meals. Now that I’m an old man I’ve come to appreciate the Italians’ affinity for bitter flavors in food (arucola and cicoria) and beverages (Amaro and Campari). So, in celebration of bitter flavors, here are my five favorite words:
Digestivo – (Dee-jess-TEE-vo) is a beverage served after a meal to assist with digestion. Typically it is one of the many brands of amaro (bitter) liqueurs; an acquired taste.
Amaro – (Ah-MAH-row) is the Italian word for bitter but it is also the generic name of an alcoholic beverage made from herbs that is typically served after a meal. There are many regional brands but my favorite is Amaro Lucano from Matera in Basilicata. On the label is a picture of a beautiful young woman, striking a “come-hither pose” with her hand her on hip and a seductive smile, promising hours of pleasure and…oh,sorry, I didn’t mean to get carried away.
Aperitivo – (Ah-PER-ee-tivo) is a drink that stimulates the appetite. “Cocktail” in English, it sounds much more poetic and musical in Italian. Whether it is a chilled glass of Prosecco, a Cinzano over ice or a Campari and soda, nothing is more refreshing after a lazy afternoon of basking in the Mediterranean sun.
Campari – (cahm-PAH-ree) is a bitter red liqueur served as an aperitivo; again it is an acquired taste. Try it for the first time by mixing with tonic, bitter lemon or grapefruit juice in a tall glass of ice and a slice of orange…paradiso!
Grappa – (GRAHP-pah) is the Italian version of what Americans call moonshine (corn whiskey or grain alcohol). It’s a hard liqueur distilled from wine grapes (stronger than brandy and cognac) with between 35% and 60% alcohol content. Ok…technically it is not a bitter flavor but one tiny sip will take the wrinkles out of your shorts. Many years ago, my first experience with grappa was very unpleasant, probably because it was poor quality…it tasted like paint remover or something you’d use to clean machine parts. Today grappa is made from high quality grapes and, although still an acquired taste, it is enjoyed after evening meals or as a “pick-me-up” in your mid-day espresso (caffé correcto).
Those are my words. They may not add to your vocabulary but after developing an appreciation for bitter flavors, you’ll be using the words and enjoying these beverages almost daily. Salute!
I am still working on my favourite words, not an easy exercise!
ReplyDeleteWe could do with seeing some of that Mediterranean sun you mention.
Hello from Georgia, USA.
ReplyDeleteLindy Lou brought your site to attention in one of her posts this past week.
Well, I just stopped by, stared at the wonderful picture for your title, read a couple of your posts, and quickly clicked on the "follow" button in case I lost the site, which has been happening lately (don't know whether to blame my computer or cyber space).
With more time I am coming back to read more about your other adventures.
I have loads of favorite italian words also, but one of my earliest favorites was (and still is) --
ReplyDeletefiammifero. Such a poetic word for such an everyday item.