
After investing hours in research and planning we are realizing that we’re not totally prepared for living in Italy. We arrived about a week ago and moved into our own little apartment just 5 days later. With loads of help from real and virtual friends, we thought we were way ahead of the curve. But the little details of everyday life have proven to be weak points.
We’re the first tenants in a new, compact apartment…a bedroom, a bathroom and a combination kitchen/dining/living room. The rooms are fully equipped with new bathroom and kitchen fixtures, appliances and furniture… there’s even a flat panel TV with basic cable service. We can control the heat, air conditioning and hot water temperatures. Best of all, there is “La Lavatrice”… a new washing machine.
In the past we’ve spent summers at Carol’s grandmother’s old house in Calabria. It has electricity and plumbing but, lacking creature comforts, we’re accustomed to roughing it. So, for us, having “la lavatrice” in the apartment is a very big deal. “La Lavatrice” has roughly a capacity equal to a countertop microwave but that’s still better than hauling the laundry down to the fountain in the piazza and beating it with a stick.
However, the fountain and stick method is easier than understanding the instructions for operating “La Lavatrice”. The washing cycles are electronically programmed, but you need to know the weight of the laundry load, how much time you want it to agitate and how violently you want it to spin. Most importantly, you must use laundry detergent! That's right, laundry detergent. For as long as I've been studying the Italian language, I can't believe I bought laundry softener instead of detergent. Back to the store.
Next up: Our Italian clothes dryer (or the broomstick and radiator method for drying knickers).
Dear Bill and Carol,
ReplyDeleteI would like to make a short interview with you about your blog, which will be posted on my blog ombelico.de. Please reply via email.
Ciao
André
Hey there...loving the stories. I'm sure this has been said before but where on the planet earth map are you...could you narrow it down a bit beyond Italy?
ReplyDeleteAndre - Sorry I don't understand German and I'm not sure I was able to send you an email from your blog. Please let me know if you received it.
ReplyDeleteAnonymous - We're presently in the town of Soriano nel Cimino, about an hour north of Rome and near the town of Viterbo.
YEAH! IN Italy and working out the little things that make it oh sooooo interesting. Nothing like pulling a pair of jeans off a hot radiator and slipping them on in the morning!
ReplyDeleteHe he... Can I just tell you I am *so* glad I'm not the only who had issues with that. Can't wait to hear about your dryer!
ReplyDeleteBill & Carol..consider this comment a test. I have sent 3 others but they are never added..lets see if this comes through.
ReplyDeletebryan.....ummmmmm.........warm jeans!!!
ReplyDeletecherrye....we bought a proper drying rack.The broom suspended between the backs of 2 dining chairs just wasn't enough drying space for the laundry.....
Roberto - Ecco! Fatto!!